GUIDELINES & RULES
The regulations listed below are not exhaustive and are subject to change. Artists Emerge Directors have final decision and interpretation of all rules and regulations.
Studio Owners, please contact Artists Emerge here to request a registration kit with current pricing.
- Accelerated Multi-Discipline dancers must be registered for the convention in order to compete.
- Day of entries will not be accepted.
- Entries will be accepted on a first come, first serve basis.
- Limit of 1 solo per discipline per dancer.
- Duo and Trio dancers must have a change of partners to compete twice in the same category.
- Limit of 3 solos per dancer.
- A dance routine may move up in age division in order to avoid competition against itself within a category, but never lower.
- Competing dancers may enter routines in multiple categories as long as they are not competing against themselves in the same division, category, and age group.
MULTI-DISCIPLINE STUDIO CATEGORIES
Dancers in this category must be training less than 6 hours per week. The competitive studio category is an alternative division for those who do not wish to compete at the regular competition level.
*All dancers are permitted to ‘dance up’ into the Accelerated Category below as desired.
ACCELERATED STUDIO CATEGORY
If dancers train 6 hours or more per week in all disciplines they are considered Accelerated. This category is suitable for multi-disciplinary dance studios that offer either:
(A) a minimum of 3 different full program dance disciplines at their studio
– (B) more than 50% of your studio programming is non-hip hop/street dance.
ALLSTARS STUDIO CATEGORY
This category is for Studios that want to to be pushed at the highest level. Groups in the Allstar Studio category automatically qualify for the Finals and are filmed with our high definition front row video camera! Groups are categorized by the group’s average age instead of level, so teachers/professionals are allowed. Each studio is limited to one group per age division.
HIP HOP STUDIO/COMPANY CATEGORIES
HIP HOP CATEGORY
This category is for all hip hop studios & street dance companies. Also suitable for groups that qualify for the Studio Category but wish to compete against streetdance/hip hop companies and be judged by the International Street Dance Headliners.
HIP HOP ALL-STARS CATEGORY
This category is for professional and pre-professional hip hop crews or teams that want to be pushed at the highest level and are looking to win big cash prizes. This category automatically competes during the finals. Entry fees are higher for this category due to the perks. Open to any group; please note that this category will contain Open level dancers, although this is not a requirement.
6 EXPERIENCE LEVELS PER CATEGORY
Experience is determined by the current years of dance training. Whether your entry dances in the Competitive Category (under 6 hrs/wk) or Accelerated Category (6+ hrs/wk) is based on the average hours of training per week for your entry.
Ex 1: Dance ABC Entry. Average yrs of experience among the dancers is: 0-1 yr. The dancers average hrs of training per week is: 2 hrs = Competitive – Beginner
Ex 2: Dance XYZ Entry. Average yrs of experience among the dancers is: 8 yrs. The dancers average hrs of training per week is: 10hrs = Accelerated – Advanced. This entry may alternately choose to enter in the Allstar Studio Category.
The current dance season counts as one year of experience.
|ADULT COMPETITIVE||AGE 25+|
|ADULT REC||Adult groups who are competing for recreational fun. These are typically parents or dancers over the age of 25.|
Reserved for dancers of any age who make income off of teaching or paid dance performances. Includes, but is not limited to: performing for live artists, videos or television and instructing studio classes, workshops, summer/winter intensive camps. A group must have 5+ dancers that meet the Open criteria for the group to be considered Open.
Instructor/Professional is someone who teaches more than 3 hours per week and is 19+ years of age.
All entries are calculated by adding all the ages and dividing by the number of dancers. All cases are rounded up or down to the nearest whole number. Eg) 11.4 years rounds down to the 11 year category. 11.5 years round up to the 12 year category.
|MINIS||AVERAGE AGE 5-8|
|JUNIOR||AVERAGE AGE 9-12|
|TEENS||AVERAGE AGE 13-15|
|VARSITY||AVERAGE AGE 16-18|
A routine based strictly on classical ballet vocabulary and technique.
A demi-character or character routine comprised of ballet vocabulary and technique that portrays a theme, character or story line.
A routine where 30% or more of the dancers are on pointe, and the majority of the routine is performed on pointe in a balletic style. Any routine where a dancer is wearing one pointe shoe only must perform in the Open division. The division is to be calculated utilizing overall ballet training. Please specify Classical Ballet or Character Ballet.
Routine that fuses genres, techniques and explores new movement.
Routine demonstrates varied modern techniques inclusive but not limited to modern dance influences of Graham, Horton, and Limon.
May be merged with the Contemporary division depending on registrations received.
Routine utilizing primarily ballet and jazz technique to express emotion and tell a story through movement. Balance, control and extension should be demonstrated.
Routine incorporating a majority of acrobatic/gymnastics technique and tricks.
Mats are prohibited.
Routine follows specific Jazz technique including jumps, turns and kicks.
The routine must consist of 85% tap technique. No pre-recorded tap sounds allowed. Heeled or flat tap shoes permitted.
Routine has a strong dance base in combination with acting or characterization with lip-synching. It uses an idea or theme, any form of dance can be incorporated.
Routine involves singing, dancing and dramatics. Pre-recorded vocals & lip-synching are not permitted.
Routine can be entirely or a combination of Popping, Locking, Bboying, House, Waacking, Animation, Hip Hop, and urban dance choreography.
There is no age division for Production entries. Consists of any dance style. Entry must portray a theme or story line throughout the performance. A maximum of 5 minutes is allocated to set up. Please contact us prior to competition if props are involved.
This category is reserved for dancers who have choreographed their own routines (or have had the routine choreographed by another student under the age of 18 years). This category is an open category for dancers performing a self choreographed routine of any discipline. Dancers do not need to submit notes on their choreography.
This category is for any routine that does not seem appropriate in any of the above listed categories.
- All fees must be paid by the Registration Deadline of December 20th. Late fees apply.
- Competition Fees are per dancer per dance
- Entry fees are non-refundable. NO EXCEPTIONS.
We email a preliminary schedule out to the email address associated with the registered account approx 1 month prior to the event. The final locked schedule is sent out approx 1-2 weeks prior to the event. Schedules to vary from city to city depending on the size of the competition.
All attendees authorize the use of their images in photos and video for any Artists Emerge promotional purposes.
Confirmation and scheduling information will be emailed 1 week prior to the event.
- All entries who sing must have choreography.
- All routines must be suitable for family viewing. Disqualification or point deduction will occur if judges / directors feel a routine is not within guidelines.
- Judges may change the discipline of a number if they feel it is incorrectly placed.
- Routines must perform in their scheduled order unless discussed with a director beforehand. A 15 point deduction may occur for those that do not comply
- All participants agree to make all costume changes quickly in order to keep the competition running on schedule. Unreasonable delays can result in disqualification of the routine.
|SMALL GROUP||3.5 MINS|
|LARGE GROUP||4 MINS|
|X LARGE||4.5 MINS|
AE provides a 10 second grace period.
The Standings below will be announced during adjudication on stage.
|DIAMOND||95 & OVER|
|SILVER||79 & UNDER|
Judges break all ties and decisions by judges are FINAL.
- Music must be uploaded through your online account
- Please have backup music for each routine ready on hand.
- We only accept iPod, phone, computer as forms of back up. No CDs please
- Singers who require a microphone must provide their own
Judges score sheets and comments are available thru the online account used to register.
Video Critiques are available under online account. We will only hold onto critiques for up to 1 month after event.